The Arizona Legislature plays a vital role in the day to day lives of all Arizonans. Among its many duties is that of watch-dog over the entire operation of the Arizona State government.
Oversight requires a keen eye and a discerning approach to the many government entities that the legislature funds and evaluates every year through the budgetary process. Dave’s experience in the legislature as well as over thirty years of directing and managing corporations that have done business with the state gives him a unique perspective on the functions of governmental departments.
We need a perpetual evaluation of government to ensure that it is using our tax dollars prudently, effectively with an approach that is complementary towards business development and not in conflict.
Arizona government must be a catalyst for Arizona business particularly in the research and development of new technologies in the areas of clean energy (non fossil fuel) and energy conservation and sustainability, web based services, optics, agriculture, military defense and healthcare among many other burgeoning industries.
All of this opportunity is predicated on Arizona developing and maintaining a first class education system from pre-K to post graduate programs. The legislature needs the insight that Dave provides to ensure that education becomes the number one priority of state government.
Knowing that healthcare, prison sentencing reform, transportation infrastructure, well planned growth, accessible child care and prevention services are all interrelated to improving the quality of life for all Arizonans is the insight that our state needs to meet the challenges of our times.
Despite our measured growth that Arizona is experiencing, the future of our State will include continued growth that will result in at least a tripling of our population over the next few decades.
The Legislature must provide the foresight into that future to ensure that we:
- Develop a fair and equitable tax structure that provides the resources needed to serve our citizens while not stifling initiative and economic development.
- Meet our energy needs in ways that are as economically feasible, environmentally respectful and as energy efficient as possible.
- Invest in the infrastructure of our schools and highways.
- Attract clean industries for our college graduates to work in.
- Develop a flexible and resilient healthcare system that is cost effective and provides access and affordability to our citizens.
- Have the courage to tackle difficult problems like sentencing reform and the restructuring of our Child Protective Services system.